Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation
The Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation program is dedicated to keeping youth from starting smoking/vaping and helping adult smokers quit, as well as protecting children from secondhand smoke.
- 1-800-QUITNOW (1-800-784-8669)
- 1-855-DEJELO-YA (1-855-335-3569)
Teen Quit Smoking Resources
- Smoke Free Teens:
- Become an Ex:
- My Last Dip:
A Program of the Prevention & Health Communications Department
Funded by: Cigarette Restitution Fund Program through the Maryland Department of Health
Stop Smoking Program: Are YOU READY to Quit for Good?
Stopping smoking is a GREAT choice! It is one of the most important things you can do to improve and extend your life.
Consider Your Options
- Cold Turkey: Completely stop smoking. Zero cigarettes. No quit aid medications.
- Step Down: Wean yourself off of cigarettes and nicotine by smoking less each day or each week.
- Quit Aid Medications: These medications can help to reduce nicotine cravings and ease withdrawal symptoms. Nicotine replacement patches, gum, lozenges, Zyban, and Chantix, are some of the most popular quit aids.
- Counseling Support: Group and individual sessions, phone quitlines and Internet sites can help connect you to professional quit coaches and others who are also quitting smoking.
How we can help:
The Wicomico County Cessation Program offers both group and individual support sessions/counseling. We also offer low cost quit aid medications (Nicotine Patches or Lozenges, or Chantix.) In order to take part in the program, you must:
- Reside in Wicomico County;
- Provide a signed medical clearance form and written prescription if you have chosen Chantix;
- Attend support sessions for at least 10 weeks.
Medications provided at no cost
Nicotine Replacement Patches, Nicotine Lozenges, Chantix.
(Medical Clearance Form For Chantix: click here )
Group Support Sessions
Group support sessions are offered once a week at the Wicomico County Health Department’s Adkins Building (801 North Salisbury Blvd., Salisbury, MD)
Thursdays: 12:00pm – 1:00pm, Second Floor, Suite 202 (park on north side of building and enter through main door facing Rt. 13; elevator is through glass doors and to the right; stairs are to the left in foyer).
Onsite Workplace Smoking Cessation Program
We provide onsite support sessions/counseling for workplaces. For more information call (410) 334-3480.
Health Care Provider Trainings
Looking to learn more about how to do brief interventions and counseling with smokers? Want to learn more about our programs or how to refer patients to the Cessation Program? We offer free training sessions for healthcare providers in Wicomico County. Call (410) 334-3480 for more information.