Alcohol and Other Drug Use Prevention
We will have a Great American Smoke Out themed table at the Wicomico County Library for the month of November.
November 14th- Parent Focus Group, Room #3 Wicomico County Library basement- 5:30-7:30 P.M. Dinner and incentives will be provided. The focus is alcohol and binge drinking.
November 16th- Youth Focus Group (12-18 years of age) 4:30-6:30 P.M. at The Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore, 1324 Belmont Avenue, Salisbury, MD 21801
The Drug Free Wicomico Coalition meets the fourth Wednesday of every month at 11:30 A.M. If you are interested in becoming a member, please email: [email protected]
December is the time of year that people are on the roads after celebrating the holidays. Your life is important to you and your family. It takes one moment in time to change your life forever. Be safe and stay off the roads, or make sure you have a designated driver.
National Drunk and Drugged Driving Prevention Month:
- Binge Drinking- when men consumes 5 or more drinks or women consumes 4 or more drinks in about 2 hours.
- Blood Alcohol Levels- The metric used to measure the amount of alcohol in a person's bloodstream is called blood alcohol concentration, or BAC. A person's lover can process about one standard drink an hour.
- Alcohol Facts- 90% of Americans with a substance abuse problem started smoking, drinking, or using other drugs before age 18
- Marijuana- directly affects the brain- specifically the parts of the brain responsible for memory, learning, attention, decision making, coordination, emotions, and reaction time.
- Ecstasy- a synthetic drug that alters mood and perception (awareness of surrounding objects and conditions)
- LSD- (D-lysergic acid diethylamide) is the most common hallucinogen, a group of drugs that alter awareness of perception, thoughts, and feelings.
- K2 Spice- Synthetic cannabinoids are human-made mind altering chemicals that are either sprayed on, dried, shredded plant material so they can be smoked or sold as liquids to be vaporized and inhaled in e-cigarettes and other devices
- Methamphetamine- a powerful, highly addictive stimulant that affects the central nervous system
- PCP- Phencyclidine, A "dissociative" anesthetic.
- Bath Salts- Synthetic cathinone products
- Prescription Drugs- Opioids are medications that are chemically similar to endorphins- opioids that our body makes naturally to relieve pain.
- Talking to your children/youth about drugs- Parents who are educated about the effects of drug use and learn the facts can give their kids correct information and clear up any misconceptions.
A Program of the Prevention & Health Communications Department
Funded by: The Behavioral Health Administration, Maryland Department of Health
Drug Free Wicomico will utilize effective prevention strategies and activities to promote healthy behaviors, decisions, and environments that will reduce, postpone or eliminate the problematic use of alcohol, prescription and over the counter drugs and any use of illegal drugs.
Our vision is that the residents of Wicomico County will maintain and improve their health by not abusing alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. Adults will be positive role models for the children and youth of Wicomico County.
The 19th Annual Awards Luncheon
The 19th Annual Awards Luncheon was held on June 6, 2019 at the Wicomico County Youth and Civic Center. The luncheon recognizes enforcement, liquor and tobacco licensees, community members and youth for making an impact on reducing alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use in Wicomico County.