Birth Certificates


 (Applicants born before 1940 must obtain their birth certificate from the Maryland Division of Vital Records in Baltimore, MD)

Beginning Monday July 10, 2023, the Wicomico County Health Department Vital Records department will now be taking walk-ins on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Hours of operation are 8:30am-4pm Closed 1pm-1:30pm

REMINDER: Vital Records has moved to the 4th Floor of the Seth H. Hurdle Building (108 East Main St, Salisbury, MD 21801). 

For questions, call 410-543-6949 

*Birth Certificates are $22.00. There is no fee for a copy of a certificate of a current or former armed forces member that is requested by the member. Proof of service in the armed forces must be provided. There is also no fee for homeless individuals. A written statement from a homeless service provider in the state affirming that the individual is homeless is needed; and it must include the address to which the copy of the birth certificate requested may be sent. (If you were born outside of Maryland you must obtain your birth certificate from the state that you were born). This office cannot make any changes or corrections to a birth certificates. To request a correction or change you must contact the Maryland Division of Vital Records.

Persons who can apply:

  • An individual requesting their own birth certificate
  • A parent named on the certificate
  • A court-appointed guardian of the individual named on the certificate (must have court documents)
  • A representative of the person or the parent named on the birth certificate. The representative must have a signed letter from a person named on the certificate giving them permission to obtain it. The letter must also be certified by a notary public.

To receive same day service the following Identification is required:

  • Valid state identification card/Drivers License
  • Current U.S. issued passport
  • Military ID for Active Service Personnel
  • Prison ID with picture (must have expiration date)

Applicants who are unable to provide a valid photo ID will not be able to receive certificates the same day. The applicant must provide two (2) different pieces of alternative documentation. At least one of these documents must contain your current mailing address. The certificate will be mailed to the address displayed on the documentation provided. Acceptable documents are:

  • Current pay stub
  • Current car registration
  • Current bank statement
  • Current lease / rent agreement
  • Current property deed
  • Utility bill with current address
  • Copy of tax return / W2

View Full Site