FIRST POSITIVE COVID-19 CASE CONFIRMED IN WICOMICO COUNTY 3/19/2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Jennifer Johnson
(410) 219-3947 (Office)
(410) 251-5379 (Cell)
FIRST POSITIVE COVID-19 CASE CONFIRMED IN WICOMICO COUNTY
(March 19, 2020, Salisbury, MD) The Wicomico County Health Department received notification that a Wicomico County resident tested positive for COVID-19. This is the first confirmed case in Wicomico County.
The man, in his 30s, has a travel history outside the U.S. He is in good condition and is isolating at home. The health department is investigating this case with the help of the Maryland Department of Health. Communicable Disease nurses will identify contacts and advise them of any necessary actions to take. The health department will share information, as soon as possible, if any risk to the public is identified.
The Wicomico County Health Department continues to operate its COVID-19 Call Center. Wicomico County residents can contact the call center at (410) 341-4600, Monday through Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Although the call center cannot share any additional details about confirmed cases, they can help answer residents’ questions.
The health department strongly urges the public to take all possible precautions to help prevent the spread of this virus. Take these everyday steps to help protect yourself and the community:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, your sleeve or your elbow
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using standard cleaning practices
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- If you are sick, stay home and self isolate, except when seeking medical care
- Avoid gatherings of more than 10 people
For information on COVID-19, visit the Maryland Department of Health at www.health.maryland.gov or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov . Local updates will be shared through the Wicomico County Health Department’s website at www.wicomicohealth.org or through social media on Facebook, Instagram (WicomicoHealth) or Twitter (@WicomicoHealth).
# # # #