National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Jennifer Johnson
(410) 219-3947 (Office)
(410) 251-5379 (Cell)
NATIONAL PRESCRIPTION DRUG TAKE BACK DAY
(October 25, 2019, Salisbury, MD) The Wicomico County Health Department will participate in National Prescription Drug Take Back Day on Saturday, October 26, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at disposal locations throughout the county. Safe disposal of unwanted or expired medication helps prevent prescription drug misuse and abuse. According to a 2018 Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) survey, 9.9 million Americans misused controlled prescription drugs and most obtained the drugs from friends and family or the home medicine cabinet.
“We realized there was a need for stationary sites so that people could dispose of their unused and expired medications anonymously all year long. Due to the hard work and diligence of many, the county was able to launch the Prescription Medication Disposal program on August 30, 2012,” says Lori Brewster, Health Officer for Wicomico County. “This [effort] would not have occurred without the commitment of the Enforcement Agencies, Drug Free Wicomico, the Wicomico County Drug Abuse Task Force, Culver Enterprises, and the Wicomico County Health Department who are committed to reducing prescription drug abuse and increasing the safety of our citizens in Wicomico County. From July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2019, we have been able to get 7,281.70 pounds of prescription drugs off our streets due to this collaborative effort!”
Wicomico County has 11 disposal sites for the community to safely and anonymously dispose of their expired and unused prescription medications throughout the year.
- Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office: (24 hours)
- Delmar Police Department: (M-F 7:30 am – 8:00 pm)
- Fruitland Police Department: (M-F 8:00 am – 4:00 pm)
- Salisbury Police Department: (24 hours)
- Maryland State Police Barracks: (24 hours)
- Apple Discount Drug: (M-F 8:00 am – 8:00 pm, Sat 9:00 am – 7:00 pm)
- Peninsula Regional Medical Center: (Emergency Department Entrance-24 hours/2boxes)
- Hermon Discount Pharmacy: (M-F 8:00 am – 7:00 pm, Sat 9:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Pemberton Pharmacy: (M-F 8:30 am – 7:00 pm, Sat. 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sun 11:00 am – 4 pm
- Shayona Pharmacy (811 Priscilla Street, M-F 9:00 am – 7:00 pm, Sat 9:00 am – 3 pm)
Personal information should be removed from the original container prior to dropping it off at one of the disposal sites. Prescription drugs, over-the-counter (OTC) medications, vitamins, and pet medications are accepted. No liquids, thermometer, or biohazard materials are allowed.
For more information on National Prescription Drug Take Back Day or other participating disposal locations, visit the Drug Enforcement Agency at https://takebackday.dea.gov and more information on local efforts to reduce prescription drug use/abuse, visit the Wicomico County Health Department at www.wicomicohealth.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram (WicomicoHealth) or Twitter (@WicomicoHealth).
# # # #