Maryland Children’s Health Program (MCHP)


Phone(410) 543-6944

Fax: (410) 543-6568


Maryland’ Children’s Health Program (MCHP) & MCHP Premium Programs

What is MCHP?

MCHP uses federal and state funds to provide full health care coverage to low-income children up to age 19 and pregnant women of any age.  This program began in July 1998. MCHP enrollees obtain care from a variety of Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) through the Maryland HealthChoice Program.

What is MCHP Premium?

MCHP Premium began July 1, 2001 and is a program offered to uninsured children younger than 19 whose family income exceeds the MCHP guidelines. MCHP Premium beneficiaries are enrolled in the Maryland Managed Health Care Program, HealthChoice, and receive the full range of Medicaid covered services. In order to be eligible for benefits under this program, a child applicant may not be currently covered by or voluntarily dropped employer-sponsored health insurance coverage within six (6) months before the date of application. In addition, a parent or guardian must pay a monthly family premium.  This contribution is per family, not per child. Referrals to this program are made when an MCHP application is determined over the income scale and the parent has indicated an interest.

How can I apply for MCHP/MCHP Premium or Medical Assistance for Families?

The application is brief and the process is simple. The application asks for general information and social security numbers or people living in the house, address, telephone number, private insurance information, and income information.

Applicants will be required to provide proof of citizenship and identity.

The Federal Deficit Reduction Act requires that all individuals declaring to be U.S. citizens provide documentation of their citizenship and identity. This requirement applies to all Maryland Medical Assistance Programs. Documents must only be provided once. If the required documents are already in the case record, you do not have to submit them again.

One of the following documents may be used to prove both citizenship and identity: 

  • U.S. Passport (current or expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570) OR
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)

Proof of Citizenship:

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • Record for child under the age of 16 created near the date of birth and showing U.S. place of birth: record on hospital letterhead or other medical record, except immunization record
  • Record showing U.S. place of birth, if created at least 5 years before the individual’s first application. Record on hospital letterhead, medical record of the birth, institutional admission papers, signed statement by physician or midwife who attended the birth, Vital Statistics notice of birth registration, insurance record
  • Final adoption decree for child born in U.S.
  • Certificate of citizen born abroad (DS-1350, FS-240, FS-545)
  • Military service record showing U.S. place of birth
  • Evidence of U.S. civil service employment before 6/1/76
  • Federal or state census record for 1900-1950 showing U.S. citizenship or U.S. place of birth
  • ID card for naturalized citizen living in Mexico or Canada (I-179 or I-197) OR
  • Two written and signed statements by U.S. citizens who have personal knowledge of the individual’s citizenship and why documentation is not available. At least one of those affidavits must be signed by someone who is not related to the applicant or recipient. Both signors must prove their own U.S. citizenship and identity. A third affidavit must be signed by the individual, parent, guardian, etc. explaining why the other types of documentation are not available.

One of the following documents may be used to verify Proof of Identiy:

  • Photo driver’s license or MVA ID card
  • Photo school ID card
  • Photo federal, state, or local government ID card
  • U.S. military card or draft record
  • Military dependent’s ID card OR
  • For children under 16, a school record, nursery or day care record, or written statement signed by parent or guardian (if a written statement was not used as documentation of citizenship) Links to forms below.

Who is eligible for MCHP/MCHP Premium?

  • Children under age 19.
  • Pregnant women of any age (MCHP only).
  • Uninsured. (NOTE: In some instances, having health insurance will not prevent eligibility for MCHP. Even if you have health insurance, it’s best to apply and let the case manager assigned to your application determine whether your health insurance will affect your eligibility for MCHP.)
  • Meets income guidelines.

How can I get more information?

  • Visit the State of Maryland’s MCHP website:
  • Call the Wicomico County Health Department’s MCHP Program at (410) 543-6944
  • Visit the MCHP program in the William Fritz building 300 W Carroll St Salisbury, MD.

What if I don’t have children?

You can get information about other Maryland Medical Assistance Programs.

How can I apply for MCHP/MCHP Premium or Medical Assistance for Families?

The application is brief and the process is simple. The application asks for general information and social security numbers for people living in the house, address, telephone number, private insurance information, and income information.

To get an application you can:

Or return your application by:

  • Filing electronically by completing an application at
  • If you live in Wicomico County and are pregnant or applying for Medical Assistance only, you can:
  • Drop it off at the William C. Fritz building 300 W. Carroll St. Salisbury, MD.
    • Mail to MCHP Program, 100 East Main Street, Salisbury, MD 21801.
    • Fax it to MCHP Program (410) 543-6568.
  • If you do not live in Wicomico County, find the contact information for your county
  • If you want to apply for other services, such as food stamps or case assistance, visit the Local Department of Social Services in your county and fill out an application

Administrative Care Coordination Unit (ACCU) & Ombudsman Program

Administrative Care Coordination Unit (ACCU): The mission of ACCU is to provide education and outreach to Medical Assistance recipients to increase awareness of Medical Assistance Programs. Ombudsman Program: Attempt to resolve disputes by educating the MCO/MCO provider and the enrollee; utilize mediation or other dispute resolution techniques; assist the enrollee in negotiating the MCO’s internal…

Go to Administrative Care Coordination Unit (ACCU) & Ombudsman Program →

Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (CYSHCN)

  These services are available: Family Centered Care Coordination: a valuable service, our CYSHCN program, can help navigate you through the health care system by giving assistance in communicating with providers and agencies that help support children with special needs. A nurse can help coordinate services, address any questions, reduce barriers for care and/or help refer care givers…

Go to Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (CYSHCN) →

View Full Site