MEDICAL ASSISTANCE TRANSPORTATION
The Wicomico County Health Department oversees the Maryland Medical Assistance Transportation Program to provide complimentary, non-emergency transportation
to qualified Medical Assistance Recipients.
NEW Ride Restrictions
Effective January 1, 2017: Wicomico County Medical Assistance Transportation will no longer be traveling west of the Bay Bridge on Fridays. Locations include, but are not limited to: Annapolis, Baltimore, Bowie, Catonsville, Dundalk, Glen Burnie, Gwynn Oak, Laurel, Lutherville, Owings Mills, Rosedale, Timonium, Westminster.
Any appointments for locations west of the Bay Bridge should be scheduled for Monday through Thursday between the hours of 8:00 am and 2:00 pm in order to receive a ride from Medical Assistance Transportation.
To schedule service, call before 12:00 noon at least two business days before the ride is needed, or up to two weeks in advance.
- You must live in Wicomico County
- You must have active Maryland Medicaid/Medical Assistance (Medical Assistance recipients with QMB, SLMB, Family Planning Only and Medicare only do not qualify for this service)
- Appointments must be medically necessary
- The medical provider/medical facility must accept Maryland Medicaid as payment for services
- You must not own a car, and have no other way to get to your appointment
- You must live or be going to a medical appointment more than 3/4 of a mile from a public transportation bus stop*
- Call (410) 548-5142 to see if you qualify
*Note: If you do live near a bus stop and cannot ride the bus due to a medical condition, you may qualify with written confirmation from your doctor. Click HERE for the form.
Scheduling Your Ride
- Effective May 1, 2014, all service must be requested by 12 noon at least two business days before the ride is needed, but can be scheduled up to two weeks in advance.
- Be aware that all customers will be subject to a screening process to determine eligibility for services.
- City Cab is currently contracted to provide the curb-to-curb service. So that you are ready when the transportation arrives, you must call them between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. the day before your scheduled ride to get your estimated pick up time.
Call (410) 548-5142 to schedule your ride, and have the following information available:
- Your full name, address, date of birth, telephone number
- Your 11-digit Medical Assistance number
- The name/address of the medical facility and doctor where you are going.
- How long your visit/procedure is expected to take.
Any special accomodations you may need:
- Are you a wheelchair user? Do you have a ramp where you live?
- Will someone else be going with you?
- Do you use a cane or walker? Will you need the lift on the bus?
- Do you carry an oxygen tank?
Effective September 1, 2014: We will only transport Wicomico Residents to locations in Somerset and Worcester Counties on TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS.
Transportation only visits locations EAST of the Bay Bridge on TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS, and your appointment time must be between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Locations include, but are not limited to: Cambridge, Centreville, Chestertown, Denton, Easton, Kent Island, Stevensville, Vienna, Wye Mills
Non-Emergency Ambulance & Certain Wheelchair Services
- The current contractor is East Coast Ambulance, (410) 663-2012.
- A Physicians Certification Statement (PCS) is required. Click HERE for form.
- All service is for non-emergency transports.
- If you are a wheelchair user and are traveling to/from Peninsula Regional Medical Center or HealthSouth, East Coast will be the provider of service.